The castor bean, also known as the Palma Christi due to its shape and healing properties, is a strong laxative if taken internally. However, a more gentle use for the castor oil is in the form of a pack placed externally on the abdomen. The oil is absorbed into lymphatic circulation providing a soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment which aids the body’s detoxification and elimination functions, enhances liver metabolism, balances the immune system, and improves lymphatic circulation.
The castor oil pack can be used for numerous symptoms and disease states. It can be used for almost all digestive disorders (such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, liver diseases, and gallstones), male and female pelvic complaints (such as uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, premenstrual syndrome, and conditions of the prostate), conditions related to hormonal imbalance (such as infertility and menstrual disorders), almost all inflammatory conditions, stress management, and most importantly general detoxification. Because of all these benefits, in addition to using it myself quite often, I recommend it to many of my clients as well.
Here’s what you will need:
- Organic castor oil – it is important to use organic castor oil which will not contain pesticide residues
- Cotton or wool flannel large enough to cover your abdomen
- Old towel or plastic wrap
- Hot water bottle
How to make the pack:
- Drizzle approximately 1/4 cup of castor oil onto the flannel, and then fold it in half to saturate it. (Some people recommend boiling the flannel first to remove any impurities). During the first several weeks you will have to apply a tablespoon of oil about every 3-4 days. Eventually the pack will be saturated enough that reapplication of oil should only be needed every couple of weeks. The pack should not be dripping with oil. As an example, it should have just enough oil tomake a slight oil mark on furniture as if you were going to polish it.
- Lie on your back and place the saturated flannel onto your abdomen.
- Cover the flannel with an old towel or plastic wrap (saran wrap works well), as castor oil can stain other fabrics.
- Place a hot water bottle filled with hot water over the castor oil pack to aid the penetration of oil into the skin.
- Relax for 45-60 minutes. This is an excellent time to practice visualization or meditation, do deep breathing exercises, listen to relaxing music or sleep. You can also wear the pack all night long, using an ace bandage to keep it in place.
- Afterwards, you can remove the oil with warm water and soap in the shower or you can allow any remaining oil to absorb into your skin.
- Store the pack in a large zip lock bag. Reuse it many times, adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. Replace the pack after it begins to change color (usually several months). Do not wash the flannel.
- For maximum effectiveness it is necessary to apply the pack as often as possible. Try using the pack for at least 4 consecutive days per week. The more often you use it, the more beneficial the results.
Do not use during pregancy. May be used during menstruation if desired but only without heat.
If you have used the castor oil pack or would like to try it, I would love to hear your feedback! If you have any questions on how to use the castor oil pack, feel free to post them here and I will be happy to reply.Read More